Development of an integrated strategy for reducing the carbon footprint in the food industry sector.
The main objective of the LIFE FOODPRINT project is to identify, quantify and implement measures to reduce, the carbon footprint (CF) of the pastry and flour food industry sector along the supply chain while increasing competitiveness through the development of an innovative software tool.
The project's specific objectives
- Developing a robust software tool that will enable the reliable determination & evaluation of the CF of pastry and flour food products considering direct and indirect activities (energy consumption, water and wastewater management, logistics). The software tool shall be characterized by its reliability and easiness in use, as well as its integration in carbon footprinting evaluation,
- Performing a large scale demonstration of the developed CF tool in 6 pastry and flour food industries in Greece and Italy aiming
- to evaluate the CF of their products along the supply chain
- to identify the Carbon hotspots contributing in raising the CF of products along the value chain
- to quantify the contribution of each activity to the overall CF of each product
- to develop GHGs emissions mitigation programs for each of the participating food industries and their associated products by incorporating appropriate set of offsetting measures which will be give rise to opportunities for greater energy and resource efficiency, reduced waste & wastewater generation, streamlined logistics and other efficiencies.
Two (2) of the participating food industries will implement the measures provided by the software tool in their supply chains for a period of 5 months. The results of the demonstration action will facilitate the elaboration of a national strategy for minimizing the carbon footprint in the food industries of Greece and Italy,
- Implement in one (1) major pastry and flour food industry in Greece and one (1) in Italy, the developed CF offsetting program that has been derived for the analysis & evaluation of the demonstration data
- Developing a national strategy in regard to the reduction of GHG emissions from pastry and flour food industries in Greece and Italy and increasing these industries competiveness in the future.